EPIC1 interacts with MYC and regulates cell growth and drug-resistance by MYC pathway.
EPIC1: Epigenetically induced lncRNA1, LOC284930 
EPIC1 is an intergenic 1815 bp long non-coding RNA, located on chromosome chr22:q13.31, consisting nine exons. CpG island is present downstream of EPIC1 gene transcription start site. EPIC1 RNA is predominately located in the nucleus .
EPIC1 promotes breast tumorigenesis through regulating cancer cell-cycle progression . EPIC1 interact with MYC and directly regulates the expression of MYC targets through their promoter regions . EPIC1 may regulate iBET (Bromodomain and Extra-Terminal inhibitors) resistance through increasing MYC protein’s transcriptional activity .
EPIC1 knockdown in MCF-7 cells resulted in the upregulation of 317 genes and downregulation of 488 genes, but had little effect on the expression of MYC .
EPIC1 promotes human lung cancer cell growth by MYC pathway .
EPIC1 protects human osteoblasts from dexamethasone (Dex) induced cell death probably through MYC pathway .
EPIC1 is overexpressed in luminal breast cancer cell lines (e.g., BT-474, MB361, MCF-7, ZR-75-1, and T-47D), along with ovarian cancer (A2780cis and OVCAR-4), pancreatic cancer (BxPC-3 and PANC-1), prostate cancer (PC-3), and leukemia (K562) cell lines .
EPIC1 is upregulated in the necrotic femoral head tissues of Dexamethasone(Dex) taking patients .
EPIC1 is directly controlled by DNA methylation at the CpG islands in its promoter region .
Labs working on this lncRNA
- Center for Pharmacogenetics, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA 
- University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA.
- Department of Computational and Systems Biology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA.
- Department of Respiration, Taizhou People's Hospital, Taizhou, China.
- Department of Oncology, The Fourth Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China.
- Department of Orthopedics, The Second Affiliated Hospital, Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
- Department of Orthopedics, Tongren Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China.
- Wang Z, Yang B, Zhang M, Guo W, Wu Z, Wang Y et al. lncRNA Epigenetic Landscape Analysis Identifies EPIC1 as an Oncogenic lncRNA that Interacts with MYC and Promotes Cell-Cycle Progression in Cancer[J]. Cancer Cell. 2018, 33(4):706-720.
- Zhang B, Lu H-Y, Xia Y-H, Jiang A-G & Lv Y-X. Long non-coding RNA EPIC1 promotes human lung cancer cell growth[J]. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2018, 503(3):1342-1348.
- Wang Y, Wang Z, Xu J, Li J, Li S, Zhang M et al. Systematic identification of non-coding pharmacogenomic landscape in cancer[J]. Nature communications. 2018, 9(1):3192.
- Zhang XY, Shan HJ, Zhang P, She C & Zhou XZ. LncRNA EPIC1 protects human osteoblasts from dexamethasone-induced cell death[J]. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 2018, 503(4):2255-2262.
>gi|284930|ref|NR_122046.1| Homo sapiens , EPIC1 long non-coding RNA