DANCR: A valuable cancer related long non-coding RNA for human cancers
Approved symbol: DANCR
Approved Name: DANCR: Differentiation antagonizing non-protein coding RNA
Alias names: "anti-differentiation ncRNA", "anti-differentiation noncoding RNA", lncRNA-ANCR KIAA0114,"KIAA0114" "small nucleolar RNA host gene 13 (non-protein coding)", SNHG13 "adipogenesis up-regulated transcript 2", AGU2
LncBook transcript ID: HSALNT0288925
The DANCR gene is 855-base-pair long noncoding RNA located on human chromosome 4, with the closest adjacent annotated genes located 54.8 kb upstream of (USP46) and 28.7 kb downstream from (ERVMER34-1) the DANCR locus. The DANCR locus consists of three exons and harbors a microRNA (MIR4449) and a snoRNA (SNORA26) in introns 1 and 2, respectively. These small RNAs are not coordinately expressed with DANCR and are not part of the mature DANCR transcript. . DANCR contains another conserved GC-rich region in the first intron, which may be processed as a not-yet-annotated small functional RNA. This notion does, however, require more intensive analysis of the function of DANCR. From an evolutionary perspective, it is of interest that transcription units of DANCR as well as AGD2 are shaped by retrotransposons. AGU2 contains a long terminal repeat (LTR)-like element, which provides its polyA signal.
DANCR suppresses a genetic program associated with epidermal differentiation. Depleting DANCR in progenitor-containing populations, without any other stimuli, led to rapid differentiation gene induction. In epidermis, ANCR loss abolished the normal exclusion of differentiation from the progenitor-containing compartment. The DANCR lncRNA is thus required to enforce the undifferentiated cell state within epidermis .
AGU2 induction conteol DANCR regulation.
- Breast Cancer 
- Colorectal Cancer 
- Hepatocellular Cancer 
- Gastric Cancer 
- Glioma 
- Osteosarcoma 
- Prostate Cancer 
Long non-coding RNAs-DANCR is a valuable cancer-related lncRNA that its dysregulated expression was found in a variety of malignancies, including hepatocellular carcinoma, breast cancer, glioma, colorectal cancer, gastric cancer, and lung cancer. The aberrant expressions of DANCR have been shown to contribute to proliferation, migration, and invasion of cancer cells 
>gi|57291|ref|024031.2|Homo sapiens differentiation antagonizing non-protein coding RNA (DANCR), transcript variant 1, long non-coding RNA
Labs working on this lncRNA
- Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Healthcare System, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA.
- Kazusa DNA Research Institute, Chiba, Japan
- Department & Program of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Center for Gene Diagnosis, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan China
- Department of Pain Management, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
- Department of Radiology & Nuclear Medicine, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuchang, Hubei Province, Wuhan, 430071, China
- Kretz M, Webster DE, Flockhart RJ, Lee CS, Zehnder A, Lopez-Pajares V, et al. Suppression of progenitor differentiation requires the long noncoding RNA ANCR[J]. Genes & development. 2012,26(4):338-43.
- Nagase T, Miyajima N, Tanaka A, Sazuka T, Seki N, Sato S, et al. Prediction of the coding sequences of unidentified human genes. III. The coding sequences of 40 new genes (KIAA0081-KIAA0120) deduced by analysis of cDNA clones from human cell line KG-1[J]. DNA research : an international journal for rapid publication of reports on genes and genomes. 1995,2(1):37-43.
- Kikuchi K, Fukuda M, Ito T, Inoue M, Yokoi T, Chiku S, et al. Transcripts of unknown function in multiple-signaling pathways involved in human stem cell differentiation[J]. Nucleic acids research. 2009,37(15):4987-5000
- Thin KZ, Liu X, Feng X, Raveendran S & Tu JC. LncRNA-DANCR: A valuable cancer related long non-coding RNA for human cancers[J]. Pathology-Research and Practice. 2018