PRAL inhibits cancer cell proliferation by upregulating p53 expression.
PRAL:p53 regulation associated lncRNA
LncRNA-PRAL localizes on chromosome 17p13.1, and is transcribed with a poly A tail . Most of the sequence of the lncRNA-PRAL overlaps in antisense with the 3' untranslated region of XAF1 protein-coding gene, which is known to regulate apoptosis .
LncRNA-PRAL is diffusely distributed both in the nucleus and cytoplasm, and localizes to both cytoplasmic and nuclear regions .
Expression level of PRAL is decreased in lung cancer .
Somatic copy number variation of lncRNA-PRAL is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) growth and lncRNA-PRAL may serve as a potential target for antitumor therapy . LncRNA-PRAL could inhibit HCC growth and induce apoptosis in vivo and in vitro through p53 . The three stem-loop motifs at the 5' end of lncRNA-PRAL facilitates the combination of HSP90 and p53 and thus competitively inhibites MDM2-dependent p53 ubiquitination, resulting in enhanced p53 stability .
PRAL might be a tumor suppressor in lung cancer . The transcript level of PRAL is decreased in lung cancer in vivo and in vitro, and overexpression of PRAL inhibites cell proliferation by upregulating the expression of P53 .
- hepatocellular cancer 
- lung cancer 
Labs working on this lncRNA
- Department of Medical Genetics, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, China.
- The Third Department of Hepatic Surgery, Eastern Hepatobiliary Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, China.
- Department of Epidemiology, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, 200433, China.
- Department of Surgery, Xi'an Red Cross Hospital, Affiliated to School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiao Tong University, Xi'an, Shanxi, China(mainland).
- Maternal and Child Care Service Center of Changan District, Xi'an, Shanxi, China (mainland).
- Zhou CC, Yang F, Yuan SX, Ma JZ, Liu F, Yuan JH, Bi FR, Lin KY, Yin JH, Cao GW, Zhou WP, Wang F, Sun SH. Systemic genome screening identifies the outcome associated focal loss of long noncoding RNA PRAL in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2016 Mar;63(3):850-63.
- Su P, Wang F, Qi B, Wang T, Zhang S. P53 Regulation-Association Long Non-Coding RNA (LncRNA PRAL) Inhibits Cell Proliferation by Regulation of P53 in Human Lung Cancer. Med Sci Monit. 2017 Apr 11;23:1751-1758.